Preparing to Let


Should your property be the subject of a mortgage agreement, you should obtain permission for letting from the mortgage lender. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us. Should they require a copy of our lease agreement, this can be provided upon request.


You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Please ensure that your Insurance Company is aware that you are letting your property, you may also be required to inform them of tenancy status and vacant periods.  Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We offer a comprehensive range of Landlord Insurance policies and details are available upon request from our office.


If you are resident in the UK, it is entirely your responsibility to inform the Inland Revenue of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. However, should you be resident outside the UK, unless an exemption certificate is held, we as landlord’s agents are obliged to retain and forward to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis, an amount equal to the basic rate of income tax from rental received, less certain expenses. An application form for exemption from such deductions is available from our office, and further information may be obtained from the Inland Revenue.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain the necessary written consent before letting.


If you are a tenant yourself, you will require your landlord’s consent.

Bills and regular outgoings

We recommend that you arrange for regular outgoings e.g. mortgage, service charges, maintenance contracts etc. to be paid by standing order or direct debit.

Council tax

Council tax is the responsibility of the occupier. You should inform your local collection office that you are leaving the property and we will supply the Council with the new tenancy details. During vacant periods the charge reverts to the owner however, discounts can apply if the property is unoccupied but furnished, and exemptions can apply when the property is unoccupied and unfurnished.


Please ensure that a mail forwarding service is in place throughout the rental period.